Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Keys to being an effective leader

  I have learned the hard way over my short few years in Children's ministry that doing the job alone does not work like ever work. When I first got into ministry I did not realize what leadership is and was nor do I still get it :). I am someone who says I will do it myself because well nobody can do it the way i picture it. After all I am the Children's Pastor so no once could teach or do ministry the way I do. Well my friends it did not take me long at all to realize that I was really wrong with this way of thinking. I needed a team, I needed folks to come on board and use the tools and gifts that God have them. I needed to learn to delegate (still a big weakness for me at times). So here are a few keys if you will that I have learned over the past few years of what it takes to be an effective leader.

1. Look at what you need to be doing.
   
Its important to learn to delegate and pass responsibly down to others, and the first step is to know what you need to be doing. As important as delegating is there are just some things that we need to be doing, but we don't need to do everything! Which leads me in to the next key.

2. Look at what others can do and let them do it.
    Again this is still a hard thing for me but I am learning to do more of this. How many times do I find myself doing the little details here and there while there is something more important I need to do, not saying little details are not important because they are. Some one once told me "if someone else can do it then let them do it". If there is something some else can do as well, let them take that and run with it. Figure out what you need to do and delegate the rest out.

3. Paint a clear picture on how you want it done.
    People are not a mind reader, when we delegate we need to be clear what is needed to be done or how it might look. When we define what we want done I have found it usually gets done just as described.

4.  Be Relational!
     Someone once told me 'if your not building relationships then your not ministering". We should be intentional in building relationships with our leaders and workers. Building relationships is a big key in leadership. When they get to know you as not just the Kids Pastor but the person, it makes it easier to get behind the vision and direction of the ministry.

5. Encourage. Encourage. Encourage
   
We all know it can be easy to get burned out with in comes to the duties and work of the church, same goes with leaders and volunteers. They to can be burned out or loose focus, as Kid Pastors we should be their biggest fan. Encourage them, recognize publicly the great works they have been doing. Let em know how much you appreciate all they do. We should look to encourage and build up those who work and lead in our ministries.

Just a few leadership lessons I have learned through out he years and many more to come I am sure!! :)

    


No comments:

Post a Comment